Friday, June 18, 2010

The Ice Cream Truck

I have been listening to a continuous rendition of "Turkey in the Straw" by the ice cream truck that drives past every twenty minutes or so and seems to stop in front of my house every time -- aren't the kids around sick of ice cream yet? Or aren't their parents out of money? I thought we were in a bad economy! I used to be excited by the music of the ice cream truck, and disappointed if I didn't have any cash to chase after them with, but now I seem to be in the middle of some sort of ice cream truck turf war. The monophonic music has bored into my brain so I've started to wonder if it's actually playing or just echoing in the hollowed out chamber between my ears. I have yet to see the cheeseburger truck -- I hope it's not the one that drives by at 8pm playing "La Cucaracha" -- not sure if that's a joke played by a driver as bored with the other tunes as I am or if they are truly trying to entice the Latino population in the area...

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. Don't worry; it usually stops by December.

    I have found that it helps to concoct new, disgusting lyrics to accompany the melodies emanating from the trucks. Try it. It's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the Beginning of the season I have to remind this cadre' of Ice cream Peddlers, that the Music stops when the truck does or I will call the police. This is a some times a difficult task and requires me running up and down the street a few times a year, pointing a finger with cell in my hand. It's an empty threat but some folks work shift work and as you have found out Brick walls are not sound proof. It does however payoff in Blessed quiet when the truck stops outside your house. It also helps when you remind them as you are spending money at the truck, ;).

    ReplyDelete